How to Clean Lampshades Made of FabricFabric lampshades cleaning can be a little time-consuming but the end results make it worth cleaning and putting efforts.
- Firstly, check for the care or instruction tags to know if there are any specifications that you must take note of while cleaning. For instance, if any specific cleaning product you must avoid or use.
- Remove the shade and unplug the lamp.
- Take a vacuum cleaner and use an upholstery attachment or a dry and clean microfiber cloth to get rid of the dust. The microfiber cloth is a must while cleaning and not any regular piece of clean cloth. You may check out an article related to the benefits of microfiber cloth on our blog.
- Dip the shade in a bathtub filled with water. At least half of the lampshade should be covered in warm water.
- Add dishwashing liquid or detergent to the warm water. Only a few drops will be enough to clean the lampshade.
- Use your hand to churn the water and mix the soap. You may add more detergent or liquid if required.
- Soak the lampshade into the soapy water for 10-15minutes. Make sure you rotate the lamp to make it soak on all the sides. All the sides must soak for an equal time.
- Use a microfiber cloth and dampen it in the same soap water in which you soaked the lampshade. Wipe down the shade with the dampened cloth from top to the bottom.
- Now, drain away the soapy water and refill the tub with plain warm water.
- Dip the lampshade and swish water to clean away the leftover soap.
- Shake the shade to remove as much water as you can and also drain the water from the tub.
- Place the lampshade on the towel and dry it. You may also air dry the lampshade or use a hairdryer on a low setting to dry the lampshade fabric.
- If you are using a hairdryer, remember to dry your hand or any around before plugging in.
- Re-attach the shade to the lamp base, once it is completely dry.
How to Clean Lampshades Made of Glued Paper and ParchmentThe paper or parchment cannot be cleaned or dipped in water. The embellishments on the lampshades have glued stick and seams. Submerging the paper lampshades with glued layers can destroy the adhesive or rust it. Therefore, such lampshades need special treatment. It is always advised to wear gloves while you clean the paper lampshades. This helps to avoid staining the lampshade from the natural oils in your hands. The parchment lampshades are especially delicate and can be spoiled by your fingertips oil. To clean it, unplug the lampshade and remove the shade from the base. Use a dry microfiber cloth or vacuum cleaner to remove the dust away. For parchment shades, you may gently use a dry white piece of bread to wipe away the dust as you do with a microfiber cloth.
How to Clean Lampshades Made of PlasticIt’s not at all difficult to clean lampshades made of plastic as it is not subtle like its counterpart’s paper or fabric. Before removing the shade, unplug the lamp. Use a clean and dry microfiber cloth or vacuum cleaner to remove the dust. Mix warm water with a few drops of mild dishwashing liquid. Take a microfiber cloth and dampen it in the soapy water to gently wisp the lampshade. Finally, completely dry the shade and buff it with a dry microfiber cloth before placing it back.
How to Clean Lampshades at Regular IntervalsIn order to maintain the lampshade and ensure it’s clean always, follow similar instructions. Unplug the lampshade, ensure that the bulb is cool and use a dry microfiber cloth or vacuum cleaner to clean the shade from inside out. It is important to put your gloves on irrespective of the material you are cleaning.
ConclusionThere’s nothing much to do in cleaning lampshades. Once it is clean, your lampshades just need to be dusted at regular intervals. While cleaning your home, you may keep your lampshade under check. Whenever, you feel it’s grimy, clean lampshade with a microfiber cloth.
Like our blog? Schedule a house or office cleaning with SPIC AND SPAN. pros!
SPIC AND SPAN. Home & Office Cleaning is an online platform offering the impeccable quality of cleaning services in Germany, Poland and France. You can order home cleaning online in just 60 seconds using our interactive online form, by calling at +49 30 588 494 40 or via chat available on our website. Our world-class English, German & French speaking customer support is available 24/7, 365 days a year. You can choose English, German or French speaking cleaning lady at no additional cost.
Since August 2016 we're available in Berlin, Frankfurt, Hamburg, München (Munich) and many other major cities in Europe. With SPIC AND SPAN. Home & Office Cleaning you can choose from 6 different cleaning packages, perfectly crafted for each situation. Our regular customers have access to the lowest possible prices already after the 1st booking.